Mould triggers asthma, new research suggests.
Visible mould in homes is significantly associated with the onset of wheezing in children, a study found.
Lead author Dr Caroline Shorter from the University of Otago in Wellington, said: ‘We found that mould and leaks were more likely to be found in the bedrooms and homes of children who had just started wheezing compared to the children who had never wheezed.
‘The amount of mould present in the bedroom made a difference: the more mould, the greater the risk that children would start wheezing.’
Dr Shorter recommends people use extractor fans, avoid drying clothes inside and open windows to allow ventilation.