A nine-year-old boy had a heart attack after one bite of a hot dog.
After swallowing a mouthful of sausage and bread, the Turkish child’s heart stopped.
The boy was rushed to a local hospital where he was resuscitated and diagnosed with Brugada syndrome, a rare condition that can put pressure on the nerve that links the abdomen and the thorax.
Normally, the illness only triggers such a life-threatening physical response in heavy alcohol drinkers.
But this case, reported today in the journal Pediatrics, has been tipped as an example of rare and unexpected ways the condition can be perilous.
Since the condition is so rare, experts warn all medical centers should test children for Brugada if they have a cardiac arrest after eating food.